Sitka Sunrise

Sitka Sunrise
Sometimes it pays to walk the dog

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Fat ass 50K or Something

Saturday morning and I wrestled with the big question: Go snowboarding or go for a run? I had plans to go snowboarding on Sunday, so I opted for the run. I went to Tiger Mountain with the intention of running with Hootz for a few hours. As I am driving past the frontage road on the freeway I see alot of cars and realize "Oh shit the Fat Ass 50K is scheduled for today!". So, next comes the second big question of the day: Run 50K or Run alone (well with Hootz)?

Answer: Run with the group, only because with the current snow pack on the mountain, the run was not going to be 50K long and it was pretty informal.

Result: 5 hours of trudging around on Tiger Moutian in snow and only covering 17 miles. Post holing through a midlayer of ice crust. Meeting some nice people. It was alot of fun and interesting to say the least.

Sunday: Snowboarding was a little harder with 5 hours of running on Saturday, but man was it worth getting onto the mountain and getting some turns in. Alpental is a great area. Snow conditions were okay. Some short finds of powder, lots of moguls, and some nice terrain.

What's next: Well I am working on my formal calendar of running events. I think I may run the Bridal Trails run on Saturday in Bellevue/Redmond area.

No comments: